One way East Lyme Middle School believes in supporting students is through participation in an advisory program. Advisory programs have been shown to:
- Help students grow emotionally and socially
- Contribute to a positive school climate
- Enhance student-teacher relationships
- Promote mutually respectful relationships with peers
- Improve students’ decision-making and communication skills
- Create a sense of belonging to school
- Improve student learning
(Breaking Ranks in The Middle, 2006)
Advisory groups of 10-12 students per adult meet twice per month. In advisory, students take part in activities based on a school-wide monthly theme that promotes social- emotional learning in the CASEL competencies of Self- Management, Social Awareness, Self- Awareness, Responsible Decision-Making and Relationship Skills.
Be sure to read about what our students are learning in advisory in our bi-monthly counseling newsletters.